Dec 9, 2007

God's Grace - delivered at your door step

I am one of the big admirers of the postal department, now being branded as India Post. So, I was delighted to read this news this month.

Holy Ash by Post
Devotees of Lord Kashi Vishwanath across India have reason to rejoice as they will now be getting the holy ash ("vibhuti") and other articles from the famous temple at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh delivered right at their door step.

This has been made possible by the Department of Posts that has joined hands with Kashi Vishwanath Mandir Trust to deliver the "vibhuti" and other articles by post anywhere in India - round the year.


I wonder what else can be sent through our wonderful postal system - besides God's grace and the holy ash, of course ! In my College days, quite a few things. Saree. Chains made of cheap beads. Even Diwali sweets to the office team in Gudalur once.

Once I was a voracious writer of letters. Wrote a Gujarati letter in IRMA days, using a 'Rapidex - Learn Gujarati in 30 days" book, I think, to Vandana. Wrote a Malayalam written to Rema Menon soon after coming to Gudalur. Major achievements, now when I think.

When I lived in the adivasi areas of Andhra Pradesh for three years, it was wonderful to see the 'Runners' of the postal department in those really remote places. For every twenty kilometres or so, there will be a carrying the postal bags, containing just a couple of cards, and hand it over to another runner. Almost like a relay team.

Often there weren't any mails, but the runners studiously have to carry the empty bags and exchange it with the other person for another, possibly, empty bag. As I was getting terrific mails from home and friends in Boithili, the remote village, I was thankful for these postmen and the gratitude stays till date.

Some years ago, the red post boxes were ubiquitous even in small villages. Often they were some sort of landmark too. But, today they are fast disappearing because of the private courier operators - so do the STD telephone booths due to cellphones.

There is a charm in public institutions providing communication services to remote places. I like the idea that it is the State's responsibility to ensure that people stay in touch with each other. I am hoping to revive the "tradition" of hand-written mails from New Year 2008 !

Anyone cares to get such letters ?

2 comments:

Gouthami said...

Hi Mano, So brilliant that you have restarted Musings - I have all the copies that you sent me. In this computer age I shouldnt say this, but there is something not quite the same with the online version - need to have it solidly in hand for it to be real.

And yes, I want to be on your letter list - you write lovely letters and NO one writes to me anymore other than my 81-year old friend who does not use a computer.

love and hugs
Gouthami

subhash said...

would love to but you will have to hand deliver it or send it through Vennila service.......