Feb 8, 2009

Wife is Away (or indisposed)

Durga went to attend a wedding in Mettupalayam yesterday. She will be out of the house for about 40 hours, I think. But, you can imagine how much she needed to prepare me for this absence. And, a whole lot of instructions about closing doors and keeping things outside the house and collecting things from others and giving things to others and what not. An indicator of my total dependence. (I can give a positive spin to this by saying, "I have totally surrendered myself to her'!!)

With all these instructions, I still will mess up. Have done already. Breakfast plans went for a six, when I realised only at 8.45 AM that I need to cook and had to go out by 9.15! The ability of husbands to follow the instructions of the wives is best illustrated by this cartoon below.

On top of it, I get invited by friends for dinner - now that Durga is not around. The wives of Gudalur have always complained that the same treatment is not given to them when the husbands go out of station! A good point to ponder about.

Even when they are not well or indisposed, they get double punishment from the husband. Having to give instructions and then having to eat the horrible stuff they finally make! God will have a tough time deciding who prayed harder - the husband or the wife - that the wife should become well soon. Here is another one on this.

What will husbands do if there were no wives around? In our hospital team, once all the nurses and office staff went on an excursion to Trivandrum. Almost all of them were women. That day, all the husbands tried their hand in running their respective homes and in getting their kids ready for school.

The teacher in the school that day remarked, "I can tell you which are the mothers who have gone on this excursion. Just by looking at the hairstyle of the girl kids in the school today..!" How true!

No comments: