Mar 3, 2009

Rahman and Oscars

Entire India and the world is going ga-ga over A.R.Rahman getting oscars. All I can say is, What we knew more than twelve years ago, the world is getting to know only now! When we heard his songs from films like Minsara Kanavu, Taal, Kandukondaen.., we were amazed and might have listened to them a thousand times. Hollywood is catching up with me only now...

Anyway, congratulations to A.R.Rahman from me also.


After the oscars, when I called my fellow Rahman-fan, Sajan to share the happy moments, we got into a tussle (as usual) about Tamil vs Malayalam. He claimed that Rahman is a Malayali and there is no reason for me to get elated. I contested strongly and said that the entire world knows that he is a Tamilian. But, the truth is probably, he is a Tamil speaking Malayali, settled in Chennai.

Anyway, even if he is a born Tamilian, what is there for me to feel proud of? I was jokingly telling a friend that all of us have a share in this Oscar - because we only encouraged his music, liked it so much, ensured that his film music is success by watching and appreciating it; that is why he ended up getting this oscar. So, even though Rahman credited God for all his success, I think, we too have a right to a small piece.

No comments: