Dec 22, 2009

Ban homeworks - Amartya Sen

Read in the newspapers recently that the Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen has strongly advised the Government to ban homework for the children in primary schools and to reduce the load of their bags. This is one of the favourite topics for one of my favourite writers, R.K.Narayan as well. When he was made a Member of Parliament, his first (and only?) speech was on the loads being carried by children to school.

During such discussions always I think about my childhood and school days. As I grew up in a more conservative society - that too middle class - where the values of the mainstream society are totally accepted without any questions, my school days were very very conventional. Fortunately, I studied in a Government school in Pattukottai from 8th standard onwards - so not much of home work. But, I had really long hours.


We had one high school and there were thousands of boys studying in that one school. (Girls were kept safely in another school about 2 kms away). There will be at least 60-80 students in each class room - 10th standard itself will have three or four class rooms. There isn't enough place to keep all the students in the school; so, we had Shift system. That is, 9, 10, 11 and 12th standards will have classes from 8.30 to 1.00 and the 6, 7 and 8th standards will have classes in the same rooms from 1.30 pm to 6.00 pm!

From 9th to 12th, I leave home by around 7.45 am - school was about 3 kms away; so have to run to be on time. After school, rush home for lunch. Then, Hindu tuition from 2.30 to 4.30. From 5.00 to 6.00, had typing class. From 6.30 to 8.00, had special tuition for the school subjects. Reach home at 8.30, dinner and sleep.

But, I don't remember having ever complained; nor did my parents. We all thought that I am doing what is required for life. Finally, got good marks; stood first in Thanjavur district and got admission in Engineering college and all that. In other words, quite a good student - successful and all that!

But, if my formative years in school helped in me becoming a better citizen? A better person? Very doubtful. I don't think personal traits like self-confidence, general knowledge, leadership etc. were considered even remotely. It was a chance entry into IRMA that probably changed my life - exposed to lot of different things in the world. Otherwise, I might have been working as a Mechanical Engineer some where and raising children conventionally like I was.

But, today, even my own sister's family is not conventional at all about education. They are exploring all sorts of things for their children; lot of new different learning opportunities are also there. Things have changed a lot in the society and in education field.

Not so sure about banning home work; but I agree with all his arguments about reforming our education system.

No comments: