May 16, 2010

Politics in UK

I followed this year's election in UK quite closely. For the last three or four years, have been reading about the politics in UK quite a lot and interests me!

The campaign and the verbal duels were quite reminiscent of Indian politics. The voters there too were equally sceptical about the integrity of the politicians. Add to that, the hung parliament and the coalition government, we have an arrangement very familiar to Indians. (For a couple of days, words like negotiations, bargains, horse-trading etc. were also circulating in the press!)

And, a few minutes ago, came to know that conservatives have formed a government with Lib Dems. And, Labour is out. Gordon Brown was a curious person and could not place him properly. Which continued till the last minute. And, the way he left. Here are some excerpts of what he said during the last few minutes as PM.


"Only those that have held the office of prime minister can understand the full weight of its responsibilities and its great capacity for good."

"I have been privileged to learn much about the very best in human nature and a fair amount too about its frailties, including my own".

"Above all, it was a privilege to serve. And yes, I loved the job not for its prestige, its titles and its ceremony – which I do not love at all."

"No, I loved the job for its potential to make this country I love fairer, more tolerant, more green, more democratic, more prosperous and more just – truly a greater Britain."

"Above all, I want to thank Sarah for her unwavering support as well as her love, and for her own service to our country"

"I thank my sons John and Fraser for the love and joy they bring to our lives. And as I leave the second most important job I could ever hold, I cherish even more the first – as a husband and father. Thank you and goodbye."

Then, The Guardian writes,
As he flew home to Fife Brown's future is cloudier.

He will resign as an MP – the modern fashion – and has sufficient international standing to get a big job, probably in tackling global poverty, the passion he acquired from the David Livingstone stories of his Presbyterian childhood. First, he must rest and come to terms with his own record. It's over.

No comments: