Sep 30, 2008

40 tips for better life - Part 1 of 4

Bharani sent an email which gave a detailed list of things that we must do (and don't do) for a better life. 40 in all. I have a suspicion that many of you also might want to have a better life; so, am sharing the list with you all. In two installments.

I am also giving my experience - briefly - in trying to adopt those tips. Man, it wasn't easy, these tips...

1. Take a 10-30 minutes walk every day. And while you walk, smile.
Walking was not a problem. Home to office, then back home for lunch, back to office and then again back home in the evening. With little bit of cheating, it comes to 30 minutes. Anyway, in between, I go to Gudalur town to buy vegetables, to leave Vennila for dance class. Average comes to this much for sure.


But, smiling ? It was difficult. Had to stop after the first day itself. I took this tip seriously and was smiling while walking. All to myself. Immediately, got a follow-up card from our nurses - they were wispering among themselves : "One more addition to our mentally ill patients list ..."
2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
I sat, but unfortunately slept off within the first 4 minutes. So, I now do this four minutes before sleeping. Clever, isn't it ?
3. Sleep for 7 hours.
Nope. Anything less than 9 hours is not possible. Can't do this. Consoled myself saying, the operative word 'minimum' would have got omitted in this tip ...
4. Live with the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.
Easy to do. I am living with Durga and Vennila - the epitomes of Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy.
5. Play more games.
For a few days, I did. But, they found out and complained to the boss. Now, I am forced to play only in my home computer. Solitair ...
6. Read more books than you did in 2007.


Very easy. In 2007, I read about one third of the P.G. Wodehouse book. I have almost completed. Well on target ...
7. Make time to practice meditation, yoga, and prayer. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives.
Same problem like sitting silently. Went off to sleep. I am learning to do meditation, yoga and prayer while sleeping.
8. Spend time with people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6.
Children didn't find me too amusing. When I tried to discuss the global food crisis, they didn't seem to mind much about it. I am reaching the age bracket of over 70 quite fast; Once I reach there, I am planning to spend time with myself.
9. Dream more while you are awake.
I like this. And, practice it studiously.
10. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.

Thanks to Durga and my mother, we follow this tip quite well.

... Will get the second part soon ! Anything useful ?

No comments: