Dec 5, 2008

Children are Natural Philosophers?

Children are famous for thinking differently. Did I say 'Famous'? Change it to Notorious ...

Two days ago, I was listening to a programme in the BBC in which one teacher was teaching philosophy to the children! He said that children are the natural philosophers. "They always ask questions like WHY and HOW and HOW DO YOU KNOW", he said. "They are curious and want to know what causes everything!". Fine. I agree with his views. But, I disagreed with his attitude - I could sense that he was appreciative of the kids asking all those questions.

I bet this teacher does not have a child of his own. Otherwise, he won't be uttering these words with amazement. I am positive that he does not know the famous saying, "All nice children belong to the neighbours".

Anyway, to bolster my case, here is a nice joke.

The children were lined up in the cafeteria of a Catholic elementary school for lunch. At the head of the table was a large pile of apples. The nun made a note, and posted on the apple tray

"Take only ONE. God is watching."

Moving further along the lunch line, at the other end of the table was a large pile of chocolate chip cookies. A child had written a note which read like this.

" Take all you want. God is watching the apples."

Now, what do you make of this? I am sure the fellow standing in the middle is plotting something against the other two. And, in any minute, he is going to come out with something terrible.


Natural Philosophers? Ugh.

No comments: