Apr 11, 2009

அபியும், நானும்

This blog is about my new friend, Abirami. The Tamil title of the blog is borrowed from a new movie recently released in Tamilnadu - it means Abirami & Me. What an apt title for this post! (Read below for explanation).

My expectations from volunteers who come to Gudalur are not very high - past experience has not proved me wrong also. So, when some Abirami Natarajan was supposed to come to Gudalur from USA, I wasn't particularly bothered. But, Abirami turned out to be a bit special.

First of all, Abirami brought out a new perspective to myself. Though all of my friends joke about our greying hair and what not for quite some years now, Abirami made me realise that I am actually a fatherly figure! One day, while talking about something else, I found out that I am the same age of her mom! This revelation put me immediately in a different generation altogether. Someone who has finished her college and is preparing to go for higher studies is almost like my daughter? This brought a new perspective about my own standing in the life-cycle. Even though we found out later that her mom was probably one year senior and was a fellow engineer from Coimbatore, the fatherly status did not change much. (The movie அபியும், நானும் is about a father and his daughter called Abi, it seems! How apt ...)

So, that is Abirami's important contribution to my life. Having her around in Gudalur is a great pleasure and she has an unique way of not being present anywhere, but materialising here and there. From young adivasi students in our hospital to Dr.Premila, the retired Paediatric Professor, Abirami has something to talk to and importantly, to help out. That is a great quality for a volunteer. (This has been one of my secret strengths here in Gudalur, I used to think. Probably, because of that, she strikes a chord with me too).

Twenty years ago, I too ventured into unknown territories in the Andhra forests with adivasis and naxals and police and IAS officers and what not. But, I guess, to spend one year in a strange place far away from home in USA is more difficult?

So, she is a good friend, wonderful volunteer and a nice team player - even though she starts sleeping as soon as we sit down to watch movies or does not attend phone calls or does not respond to emails and all that sort of thing. Even though Gayathri summed up her one month stay with Abirami with a criptic, "Abi, what can I tell about her..? Thanks a lot!", I went one step further and said, "Abirami is God. She does not respond to any of your communication...". And, most importantly, she listens patiently to long lectures - be it on some medical conditions by Nandakumar or some philosophical rubbish on organisational issues from me, all in answer to 'just one question'!

Durga, Vennila and myself would like to wish Abirami all the best and a wonderful time till she is in Gudalur with all of us.

Many happy returns, Abirami.

No comments: