Apr 15, 2009

Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill is said to have remarked"
Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."
Well Said... I am a true believer of this motto in life and have expressed this sentiment to many people quite a few times during the last few years. So, as I learnt that Churchill has something in common with me, I was interested to know a bit more about him. (How self-centered of me!)


Heard many times, but had the chance to read his wonderful witty quotes on many things. Was bombarded with his uncharitable quote on Gandhi, but came across quite a string of insightful pearls from him. So, sharing some here.

I had written earlier about dogs and cats you may remember. But, churchill brings pigs also into the debate. Here is what his views:
"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Both as an administrator and war-time politician, Churchill was known for his demanding personality. I can understand, because,
"I am easily satisfied with the very best."
OK, Some more gems - without any interruptions from me. Read them:
  • I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
  • I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks.
  • In the course of my life, I have often had to eat my words, and I must confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet. I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
  • The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
  • We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out.
  • True genius resides in the capacity for evaluation of uncertain, hazardous, and conflicting information
Aren't they wonderful? Especially, the democracy one and the 'masters and slaves' one about words! Now, finally, as every british politician, he has something to say about American cousins.
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
How True!

No comments: