Apr 22, 2009

I am pregnant again ...

Good news, all of you! I am pregnant again.

Wait ... wait ... Nothing of that sort; no sex change operation or whatever. What I mean is that I have conceived of a new idea to create a new database application. In Opensource language.

So, till it is completed and delivered properly, you have this nagging feeling - a heady mix of excitement + apprehension; suspense + uncertainty. I tend to think that this is how pregnant women probably will be feeling during their conception.

Don't know about the women, but I love this feeling. From the time a challenging idea gets in to the mind - be it a software package or an analytical report to be prepared or a presentation on some issue, it is a terrific experience - developing it slowly, adding bits and pieces into the larger framework and finally doing finishing touches for better 'effect'. With each paragraph or component or slide, the final product slowly gets into life and it is a wonderful tension, till it is completed. I like that tension and excitement.

But, on few things, it is different from pregnancy.
  1. Things are largely under my control and it isn't an issue of life and death.
  2. Many times, when things go out of control, I trace a few steps back, wipe the slate clean and start afresh. Women, alas, cannot do that.
  3. Depending on the product, the pregnancy period varies from - just a couple of days to a few years.
And, most importantly,

4. After delivery, there isn't much of an attachment with the child. In fact, I have noticed that the entire relationship comes to an end as soon as the child is delivered and announced to everyone. Then, excitement starts about the next child. Mothers are, fortunately, not that way.


Even take this blog post for an instance. This idea for this blog was in my mind for a few weeks and getting 'cooked' in my mind. But, once you put things down, the charm goes and I am finished with it!

Just to wind up, Norman Mailer had this interesting thing to say and I was struck by the wonderful similarity of our thoughts.
Writing books is the closest men ever come to childbearing.
Will keep you all informed when the New Arrival happens. Please come for the birthday party...

To conclude, here is a joke on pregnancy.

No comments: