May 30, 2009

Indecisiveness

Gone are the days of "I think, so I am". Now is the time for "I Blog, so I am".

But, the one that caught my attention is the one below.
I doubt; so, I might be.
There are only two kinds of people in the world - those who can decisions and those who cannot. Taking decisions is the only thing that matters in this world - and, differentiates leaders from others. Even in organisations, I wonder what is it that the boss has, that the other employees do not have. While everyone may go in circles, the boss bites the bullet and takes the decisions.
There is a finer point, of course. The boss also needs to decide, when not to take decisions. Some temporary power games between a couple of people does not need any intervention - probably, it will sort itself out in due course. So, not to decide something is also a key.

How good am I as a decision maker? As I am a firm believer of the Japanese philosophy of Kaizen - small and continuous improvements, I don't really need to make big decisions that will revamp the whole organisation. (Kaizen methodology includes making changes and monitoring results, then adjusting. Large-scale pre-planning and extensive project scheduling are replaced by smaller experiments, which can be rapidly adapted as new improvements are suggested).

But, in personal life, there are quite a few things that require us to make big decisions. Almost till now, I have successfully managed not to take any important responsibility and to wash my hands off things wherever possible! While it may bug others, I plan to continue to be irresponsible and not to be a decision maker. Anyway, no reason to change the winning formula. If this has worked for 40 years, I can play it out this way for another 10-15 years at the maximum. (I have decisively taken a vow not to go beyond this period!)

And, finally, I think, probably, I may complete this post with a quote.
I thought I was indecisive; now I'm not so sure.

No comments: