Jun 10, 2009

Alcoholism

According to various people, the reasons for India's problems are quite different. Some people consider corruption as the main reason; some others feel our discriminatory caste system as the culprit. Even others feel it is our inequality, while lack of education is another major stumbling block. But, according to me, Alcoholism is the biggest evil of India.

I don't know about other countries, but extrapolating the men of India, probably, it will be the biggest evil in any other under-developed country, I think.

The amount of money spent on alcohol by the village men is way too high, given the resources required to lead a better, healthy life for the family. If every man decides not to drink alcohol, that itself will make a huge change in the economy of our villages. Governments like Tamilnadu understand this weakness very well. They give rice at a very subsidised rate to the family, then the government sells alcohol to the men and collect the subsidy money back from the family... It is atrocious.

I guess, Musings is not the place to write about such issues. I wanted to write some light stuff about the 'social drinking' of urban upper class only. But, I forgot what it was. Some other time, probably.

Personally for me, to spend money to lose consciousness is not very much appealing. Want to enjoy every moment of this life - as I don't know how long it will last - with full consciousness. Why would someone drink and become unconscious, I never understood.

No comments: