Nov 24, 2009

Executive Assistants

I had written about the elected terrorists in Karnataka a week ago, isn't it? That saga is finally over. The Chief Minister, Yeddyurappa saved his chair by conceding to all the demands of the Reddy brothers. Reinstating all the officials, transfering the people required and even dropping his favourite minister Shobha.

Of all these changes, I am quite curious about the Shobha episode. Let us ignore the uncharitable comments doing the rounds. But, she was described as an efficient Minister in his cabinet and he was consulting her on all important issues - asking the officials to run all the files through her once.

To some extent, my personal inclination (even training in IRMA) is to be just next to the top boss in any organisation, provide all support, give your views / suggestions - but leave the decision making to the one on top. No, it is not second-in-command. That will be deputy CM or Vice-Chairman or Joint Commissioner or someone like that. I like being the back room boy - something like the anonymous "Prime Minister's office", "Kitchen Cabinet", "President Office Spokesman" or something like that.

The problem with Shobha was that she was a public figure, on the stage rather than behind the screen and hence, everyone could easily target her. I guess, she is a typical politician waiting to become CM one day. But, I am more keen on understanding bureaucrats who stay behind the corporate kings, political masters and Chief Functionary of various organisations. That role interests me.

I heard that one of my juniors in IRMA is the Executive Assistant to Mukesh Ambani. One of our seniors was the Personal Assistant to Dr.Kurien for long. The boss can get all the inputs from these special assistants, but if required, they can be junked without any fuss. It is a demanding job; should be able to keep your ego on leash; Loyalty to the core is a must. And, of course, often it may be totally a thankless job - except the Boss and some people within the organisation, the general public may not know about you or your contribution.
To some extent, I am doing something like that in Gudaur. Except that I don't have one boss, but about hundred different people. But, I love this role.

No comments: