Nov 28, 2009

Whither Email?


I am one of those affected by this Dekofossamossis!

Normally, one step behind as far as the latest technologies are concerned. When everyone was talking about mobile phones, I was still wondering if I needed telephone at home. But, when internet and emails became absolutely important, I went for a telephone at home.

Similarly, after dilly-dallying on mobile phone for some time, accepted the mobile also. Now, it is one of the inalienable parts of my body, I guess.
As usual, I do not appreciate the current technologies of Twitter and Facebook much. I got an account in Facebook also, but didn't find it exciting. Fell back on email.

In fact, Email is the important way to communicate for me right now. If you add all the words that I send by email to others, it will far outnumber the words spoken, I assume. Except Durga and Vennila, the most preferred mode of communication with everyone else in the world is Email right now.


So, I was shocked when I read recently an article which said Email is on its way out. Only Old people are using emails. All young ones are using only Twitter and Facebook. Who wants to type all those long long words? And, all that sort of rot.

My God, what will I do if people stop checking mails and use only their mobile phones or the e-walls in facebook or orkut to communicate with each other? Whither email?


I continue to believe (hope?) that email will live and withstand these new arrivals. Of course, I also have heartfelt contempt for Twitter and Facebook. I am irritated by all those short messages with wrong spellings and abbreviated words. "C U 2mrw" etc. are blasphemy for me. English is a sweet language and it is a crime not to type the entire word with proper spellings. Says me.

No comments: