Oct 8, 2011

Feel like a SIM card

These days, I feel more like a SIM card than a human body - what with constant talk of 'topping up'.
When I heard the doctor saying, "Oh, you are traveling on Sunday and you will be roaming. So, we better top up", I handed my mobile phone to him, "yes, doctor". "No, No, what I meant is to top you up with more blood. You come to the hospital in the morning and we will transfuse one unit of it."
For the last one month, such conversations have become normal. As I will be roaming tomorrow, the charge probably will come down faster with all that travel etc., so better to boost it up a bit. Till now, 4 units of topping up has happened and more to follow!
Blood banks are quite advanced already. Even before the telecom sector came out with number portability etc., blood banks have done that. Any group is fine - exchange offer and you will get yours.
Fortunately, there aren't any festival offers and promotional schemes which may give new ideas to the doctors - "why don't you go for a top up today itself and then wait for the Diwali offer ?", he might say!
In the process, they are trying to neutralise myself with the blood of other sane people. Though Tarsh, Gopal, Shikha, Harsh and his friend gave the blood, what I finally got was that of James Raj, Joe Ezhil Chinnappan and one Nine Wangoli. Today, Udayan will join the illustrious group of people whose blood finds a place in my body - albeit temporarily!

No comments: